Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Atonement 101

Nails were not enough to hold God-and-man nailed and fastened on the Cross, had not love held Him there. ~Catherine of Siena
I've never really entered the ring when it comes to the debate about atonement. Besides, there's more terms these days about the doctrine than I can sort out. The emergents have new ideas that leave my head spinning, the charismatics have a tendency to use the atonement for personal gain, my Calvinist brothers (who I most identify with) spend a considerable amount of time explaining the finer details, and the rest us Protestants are left asking questions about the differences.

When I was a bible college student several years ago now, there was a joke about all of the varied positions on the Tribulation. Of course the three views were Premillennialism, Amillennial, and PostMillennialism. However, a fourth emerged that I favored called Panmillennialism; the belief that it will all "pan out" in the end. To this very day, I still favor the later and it was supposed to be a joke. Go figure. So much for my reading up on all of the differing theories. I think often times we overdue it in our quest to have the most polished argument and end up missing Jesus altogether.

My sentiments on atonement are similar.

Atonement is God's idea, not ours. So I believe in it wholeheartedly.

The raging debate is counter productive in too many ways to count if you ask little old me. But even if the need arose for one more voice among the fray, I'd have to pass.

First, I am a better negotiator than a debater.

Secondly, I don't understand why there is a debate.

And thirdly, I believe the bible is so clear on the issue, that to enter the debate, even if I felt like it, would be nonsense to me.

If you don't understand the concept of atonement I'd recommend a book I am currently reading that I wish I'd have read 20 years ago when it was first recommended to me, "The Cross of Christ", by John Stott.

If you'd like to read post that breaks it down in short order I'd say see Jared Wilson's post "Accomplished Atonement".

No comments:

Post a Comment